It’s Easy Being Green6th January 2020
Recycling your Christmas tree
You’ve taken great care to choose just the right Christmas tree to decorate your home for the festive period – but now what? After weeks of loyal service, it’s only natural that we want to do right by our Christmas trees and give them the send off they deserve. Here are some creative, sustainable and planet-friendly ways you can recycle your Christmas tree after the decorations come down.
- Whatever you decide to do, make sure your tree is properly de-baubled and de-tinselled – otherwise, you run the risk of not only contaminating it for recycling but throwing out a precious family heirloom!
- Re-plant and reuse. Start a new tradition this year by replanting your tree in a pot. With a little bit of care, it can go a long way in reviving festive foliage to be decorated again next December. Many varieties of Christmas tree are extremely resilient and can spring back to life, growing new roots even after their branches have become droopy and started to drop their needles.
- Charity Collection – Give back as you pack off your tree to pastures new by getting in touch with local charities in your area, many offer tree collection in exchange for a small donation.
- Make it mulch – Check with local garden centres, some will accept or even collect old Christmas trees and chip them, to use in the centre throughout the year.
- Natural Conservation – the unsung heroes of our sand dunes and hedges, old Christmas trees have been used throughout the UK to maintain the structure of dunes, provide support to dwindling hedgerows and even strengthen sea defences. Look for local projects in your area online. They’re gaining a lot of traction in coastal areas.
- Bin it! – some councils accept old Christmas trees as a part of your garden waste. Check with your local council before leaving your tree in the brown bin, ready to be reshipped or made into compost.
So get creative this year when looking for ways to recycle your wholesale Christmas tree and you could give your Galloway Woodlands tree a whole new lease of life!